Length of the Roll : 640cms
No. of Flags/Roll : 25 Flags
Size of Each Flag : 30 cms x 19cms
Weight/roll : 95 grams
No. of rolls/pack : 5 Rolls, 400 grams
Check COD Availability
Tibetan prayer flags are more than just a piece of art : their spiritual and cultural meaning is timeless and powerful.
Traditionally, prayer flags are used to promote peace, compassion, strength, and wisdom. The flags do not carry prayers to gods, which is a common misconception; rather, the Tibetans believe the prayers and mantras will be blown by the wind to spread the good will and compassion into all pervading space. These gently waving prayer flags are said to send out positive energy, with the aid of the wind which pervades the area, bringing happiness and well-being to all. Therefore, prayer flags are thought to bring benefit to all.
It’s a good omen to receive them as a gift.
Meaning of Buddhist Tibetan Prayer Flags
There are two kinds of prayer flags: horizontal ones, called Lung ta (Wylie: rlung-rta, meaning "Wind Horse") in Tibetan, and vertical ones, called Darchog (Wylie: dar-lcog, meaning "flagstaff").
Lung ta (horizontal) prayer flags are of square or rectangular shape, and are connected along their top edges to a long string or thread. They are commonly hung on a diagonal line from high to low between two objects (e.g., a rock and the top of a pole) in high places such as the tops of temples, monasteries, stupas, and mountain passes
Darchog (vertical) prayer flags are usually large single rectangles attached to poles along their vertical edge. Darchog are commonly planted in the ground, mountains, cairns, and on rooftops, and are iconographically and symbolically related to the Dhvaja.
History behind the Buddhist Tibetan Prayer Flags
While prayer flags are used mostly in Tibetan Buddhism, they actually have their roots in India where sutras were written on cloth. Sutras are short pieces of text derived directly from Shakyamani Buddha's discourses in India 2500 years ago. These prayer flag are powerful in that they create powerful vibrations that are carried by the wind to everyone in the surrounding. They are silent blessings that spread goodwill and compassion to all and bring happiness and prosperity to all touched by the wind.
The flags are most often found to be arranged in a particular order from left to right starting with blue, white, red, green, and yellow. These flags are commonly put up on the 3rd day of the Tibetan New Year, 'Losar' and on momentous occasions like marriages and other important functions. They are also put up to avoid illnesses and before embarking on journeys.
The flags embody the cycle of life, just as life is renewed, people put up new flags beside the old faded ones; it teaches us to embrace life's changes.
Colors in the Prayer Flag
These five colors of Tibetan prayer flags also stand for the five main directions, north, south, east, west and center and also for the five wisdoms in Buddhism which are compassion, wisdom of sight, harmony, kindness and perfect wisdom.
Each color in the flag symbolizes an element
- Blue flags symbolizes SKY
It signifies purity or healing. It is believed that when meditating on this color, anger can be turned to wisdom.
- White flags symbolizes AIR
If meditated upon, white can cut the delusion of ignorance and turn it into the wisdom of reality.
- Red Flag symbolizes of FIRE
In canonical texts, in Buddhism, out of the four 'great' elements, fire represents heat or energy, both internal and external.
- Green symbolizes NATURE
Water represents liquidity of motion. Some say meditating on this color can help one get rid of jealousy.
- Yellow symbolizes EARTH
Yellow represents solid elements. Internal earth elements would be bone, sinew, teeth and skin.
The meaning of 'Om Mani Padme Hum'
- Om means "The sacred syllable"
- Mani means "Jewel"
- Padme means "Lotus"
- Hum means "Spirit of enlightenment"
Reciting the mantra during meditation, can cure pride, jealousy, ignorance, greed and aggression.
When to put up the Tibetan Prayer flags
- 10th and 22nd of the first, fifth and ninth months
- 7th and 19th of the second, sixth and tenth months
- 4th and 16th of the third, seventh and eleventh months
- 1st and 13th of the fourth, eighth and twelfth months
Old prayer flags are replaced with new ones annually on the Tibetan New Year.
How and where are the Buddhist Tibetan Prayer Flags made
Each prayer flag is hand inked and hand printed. These flags are handmade primarily from cotton, a few variations in velvet and Satin, by local artisans in himalayan region of Kathmandu, Nepal.
Where to hang the Tibetan Prayer Flags
According to traditional belief, because the symbols and mantras on prayer flags are sacred, they should be treated with respect. Keeping flags on the ground is considered disrespectful. Old prayer flags should be burned.
Always hang them at a height, the frame of the doorway is considered one of the right places. Few people also hang these prayer flags on bikes (mostly Royal Enfield), cars, garden outdoors, offices etc.
Fading color of the flags is considered auspicious as it is told that the breeze carries the prayers.
Other names of Tibetan Prayer Flags
The Tibetan prayer flags are also known by the names such as Ladakh Flags, Leh ladakh Flags, Bike prayer flags, Car prayer flags, Nepal flags, Himalayan flags, mandala flags, lung ta flags, Darchog flags and many more...
Where to buy Tibetan Prayer Flags
If you are interested in buying Tibetan Prayer Flags you may buy them at our online store, many sizes, options and variety are available.
Watch the video here :
Delivery to India
- We dispatch your order within 24 - 48 hours on working days Monday - Friday
- Orders for Saturday & Sunday will be dispatched on Monday
FedEx Priority 2 - 4 days delivery
- FREE FedEx Priority delivery on order value above Rs. 999
- Order value upto Rs. 100, Delivery Cost : Rs. 100
- Order value between Rs. 100 - Rs. 999, Delivery Cost : Rs. 80
India Post EMS 6 - 9 days delivery
- Order value upto Rs. 100, Delivery Cost : Rs. 60
- Order value between Rs. 100 - Rs. 999, Delivery Cost : Rs. 50
International Customers (Excluding India)
Shipping price can be calculated in the cart page or even the checkout page. We use FedEx International priority and India Post EMS services.
Note : If your country is not in the list(cart checkout), kindly contact us via email or the below options, we will get back with the estimate delivery cost.
- Customer may have to pay additional import duties and taxes which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. Please check with your respective customs department.
- It is beyond our scope to calculate when and how much these infrequent customs duty charges will be levied, in the case where additional customs charges are assessed, you will be responsible for paying these additional fees.
- To make the process hassle free we have arranged with FedEx to customs clear your goods for you and deliver them to your doorstep.
- If you are presented with an invoice from FedEx for import duties and taxes, you will have to pay FedEx directly at the time of delivery.
Returns, refunds, exchange and cancellation policy
Each product we sell is handpicked and rare. Still if you are not satisfied due to the below reasons, please write us an email at email@example.com with subject line as : return or refund within 7 days of the receipt of the product.
Few things to keep in mind for returns, refund or exchange
- Shipping, package & handling charges will be deducted from the return amount.
- Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment.
- No return/refund/exchange on product which are used by you.
- The refund will be solely at the discretion of Atrangi
- Packing and delivery charge of Rs. 100 will be deducted from the order amount.
If you are not completely satisfied with your product, kindly return the "unused" package within 7 days.
Exchanges can be done only if the size does not fit you or if you do not like a product and would like to exchange it for another product (the product to be returned must be unused & in original condition).
Damaged/defective products will be replaced immediately excluding our handicraft items policy (minor defects/variations may occur at times which are typical of craftsman's work).
You may cancel an order within 24 hours from the time of placing the order. Login in to atrangi.in, click on "My Account" and select the order which you wish to cancel. Cancel the order by clicking on "cancel order" button.
- Customers "outside India" can use "CCAvenue"(online payment) or "Paypal" (manual process)
- Since our store currency is INR, Paypal request will be manually sent to you from our PayPal account email id firstname.lastname@example.org